Ditch the harsh chemicals and save some money while you’re at it with this homemade laundry liquid recipe. This all natural laundry liquid is perfect for the cost conscious with each litre costing less than 20 cents.
The original recipe can be found at simplesavings.com.au.
- 1 bar Velvet or Sunlight Soap
- 1 cup Lectric Washing Soda
- 1/2 cup Borax (optional)
- 30ml lavender oil
- Hot water
- Grate the bar of soap into a big pot.
- Cover with water and simmer over medium heat until all the soap is melted, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into a very large bucket approximately 20-25 litres.
- Add Lectric Washing Soda, lavender oil and Borax (optional).
- Add enough very hot water to fill the bucket.
- Stir often as it is cooling down, any long stick or spoon will do.
- Let it sit overnight to gel, but give it the occasional stir as it starts to thicken.
- For top loader washing machines use one cup per load. For front loading machines use half a cup per load.
- You can pour this into old detergent bottles or leave in the bucket.
- Make sure it’s covered with a lid if using a bucket to protect children or pets.
- If the gel is too thick for your liking add more hot water to get desired consistency
- The laundry liquid does not contain detergents so it will not be very bubbly or frothy but rest assured it works just as well
- It is safe to use your kitchen grater or processor to grate the soap, after all you wash it with detergent which is soap